For the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation Ian Allan Motors Limited is the data controller in respect of your personal information that we collect and process as further described in this policy.
What information do we collect?
In particular, we may collect and process the following personal information about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms, including those on our websites.
- When you enquire about or purchase a vehicle or services we collect personal information to respond to your enquiry and to process and complete your purchase.
- Details about the transactions you carry out with Ian Allan Motors including vehicle purchases, vehicle support services and the purchase of other goods.
- Information contained in and records of communications between us, including e-mails, letters and text messages.
- Details of your visits to our Websites.
- We will collect information concerning your marketing preferences.
- We will also collect information to enable third parties to carry out credit reference checks on you (if you are purchasing a vehicle on finance) and we will receive and process information about the outcome of those checks in order to complete your purchase.
- A copy of your driving licence when you test drive a vehicle or are provided with a courtesy car.
- We will collect information relevant to the insurance products that we sell that are provided by third parties.
- CCTV footage in which you feature when you visit our premises.
If you provide us with personal information about another person, you must ensure that before you provide us with their personal information, you have their agreement to do so and that they are aware of the ways in which we use personal information as set out in this policy.
Use of your personal information
Your personal information may be used in the following ways:
- To provide you with reminders regarding your vehicle including service & MOT.
- To respond to queries from your regarding the possible purchase of goods or services.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us including purchase of vehicles and provision of services and to respond to queries from you regarding those contracts.
- To manage and administer the relationship between you and us.
- To notify you about changes to our services.
In accordance with your preferences, we may also use your personal information to provide you with information about vehicles, services, promotions and offers that may be of interest to you. Please note that, even if you choose not to receive this information, we will use your personal information to provide you with important services communication, including communications in relation to any purchases you make or vehicle support services as we have a legitimate interest and/or contractual obligation to you to do this.
Your personal information may also be used by us, our employees, contractors or agents, and disclosed to third parties, in order to comply with any legal obligation (including in connection with a court order), or in order to enforce or apply the terms of any agreements we have with or otherwise concerning you. Including agreements between you and us, or to protect our rights, property or safety or those of customers, employees or other third parties.
If you are a service customer who we haven’t been in contact with for over the last twenty five months you will be removed from our database and will not receive service MOT reminders. Our systems are updated quarterly ensuring vehicle reminders aren’t sent to past customers.
With whom do we share your personal information
In connection to the text above, we may share your personal information with third parties which has been described below. This is in connection with our business activities, including in the following circumstances:
- We may pass your personal information to third party organisations that provide services to us (including assisting us with carrying out marketing activities).
- We may pass personal information to external agencies and organisations (including the police and other law enforcement agencies) for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud (including fraudulent transactions) and criminal activity. We may also disclose personal information to the police and other law enforcement agencies in connection with the prevention and detection of crime.
- We may pass your personal information to a third party finance company for the purposes of them providing you with the finance. These organisations may carry out credit checks and may disclose your data to credit reference agencies for that purpose.
- We will pass your information to third party providers of insurance products that we may offer, if you take up the option of purchasing one of those products.
- If you take out an Automation Warranty and Breakdown Assistance Scheme, your information may be passed on to them.
- In the event that we buy or sell any business or assets, we may disclose personal information held by us about our customer to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party (or subject to a reorganisation within our corporate group), personal information held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- We may pass your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (including in connection with a court order), or in order to enforce or apply the terms of any agreements we have with or otherwise concerning you (including agreements between you and us); or to protect our rights, property or safety or those of our customer, employees or other third parties.
- We may pass your personal information to the relevant franchise manufacturer partner relating to your vehicle. They may contact you directly regarding your vehicle and to obtain feedback and/or to provide offers.
We may share non-personal aggregate statistics (group) data about visitors to our Websites, sales and traffic patterns with members of the Ian Allan Group and other parties.
Below is a list of third parties who may be involved with our service to our customers:
- SSANGYONG MOTOR UK LTD
- CHEVROLET UK
- CADILLAC UK
- QBE INSURANCE GROUP
- AA (AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION DEVEOPMENTS LTD. 2018)
- ORIO UK LIMITED
- BLACK HORSE LIMITED
- GMAC (GM FINANCIAL) / VAUXHALL FINANCE PLC
- MANN ISLAND FINANCE LIMITED (MIF)
- KW PARTS
Security of your personal information
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
You acknowledge that the transmission of information over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
We may update this policy from time to time by posting a new version on our website. You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with the changes
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you. Provision of such information will be subject to:
- Payment of a fee (currently fixed at GBP 10); and
- The supply of appropriate evidence of your identity (for this purpose, we will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a solicitor or bank plus an original copy of a utility bill showing your current address).
We may withhold such personal information to the extent permitted by law.
You may instruct us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes, by sending an email to us, In practice, you will either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes.
Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites
Please let us know if the personal information which we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.
If you have any questions about this policy or our treatment of your personal information, please email [email protected] or by post to Ian Allan Motors Limited, Station Approach, Shepperton, Middlesex, TW17 8AS